Friday 21 April 2017

Circles in Square Wire Pendant


circles-necklace-aquamarine-silvermoss

Made for a March birthday, this pendant also served to remind me how square wire is so effective, and also exceedingly nice to work with. Round wire is used more often in jewellery making, probably partly because it's easily available in so many thicknesses. It's easy to forget about square wire but I find it delivers a certain satisfaction during the making process, and also looks sleek and subtle in the finished piece.

circles-necklace-aquamarine-silvermoss

I set the tiny aquamarine gemstone using a sterling silver Wraptite setting. This wasn't quite as easy to work with as the video I watched had led me to believe (mainly due to the 'fiddliness' of such a small gem (4mm) and a nearly equally small setting), but looked good in the end, and also provided what feels like a strong and secure setting for a faceted gemstone.

Aquamarine is one of the most popular gemstones for March and the stone I bought was really quite beautiful, full of vibrancy that bounced light around. It reminded me how well colour works with sterling silver.

3 comments:

  1. That's really pretty, I do love square wire too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous, original necklace. The square wire really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great shape to work with, itsn't it. I've got some oval wire that I've not used in simply ages that I'm planning on working with very soon.
    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment here - I always love to read them and I do my best to reply to them all, either here or by email.